Looks to Invest in Global Web3, Gaming and Fintech Startups
- Cake DeFi has launched Cake DeFi Ventures, its US$100 million venture arm committed to accelerating growth of tech firms, with a focus on investing in Web3, gaming and fintech startups.
- Cake DeFi Ventures has earmarked US$100 million for investments over the next two years.
- Deploys first investment in US-based media startup, The Edge Of Company, Inc.
SINGAPORE – Cake DeFi, a Singapore-based fintech platform that makes DeFi (decentralised finance) services and applications accessible for everyone, has launched Cake DeFi Ventures (CDV), its venture capital arm with US$100 million in earmarked capital.
Cake DeFi Ventures (CDV) is looking to invest in technology startups in Web3, gaming and fintech – especially those in the metaverse, NFT, blockchain and esports industries – that will bring synergistic value to Cake DeFi’s core business. Based in Singapore, CDV will look for global investment opportunities in startups around the world.
CDV is led by Cake DeFi’s Co-founders Dr Julian Hosp (Chief Executive Officer) and U-Zyn Chua (Chief Technology Officer) along with newly appointed Investment Partner Nicholas Khoo:
- Dr Julian Hosp is a seasoned blockchain entrepreneur, widely regarded as a leading influencer in the crypto and blockchain space. His vision is to bring blockchain awareness and understanding to a billion people by 2025.
- U-Zyn Chua, a blockchain engineer, enthusiast and investor for over a decade, was a Smart Nation Fellow on blockchain for the Singapore government. He was also the Lead Architect for the world’s first Central Bank Digital Currency (CDBC) – the Sand Dollar in the Bahamas.
- Nicholas Khoo brings over 20 years in the tech sector with diversified experience in startups and multinationals such as Visa. For more than ten years, Nicholas has invested in a number of successful and fast-growing tech startups and has also served on the investment committees of investors such as the Global Fund.
Portfolio companies of CDV will receive strong support from Cake DeFi’s global and experienced leadership team, and the opportunity to access Cake DeFi’s connections, resources and expertise within the global blockchain industry.
“By launching Cake DeFi Ventures, we want to bring cryptocurrency and blockchain capabilities to the world. Cake DeFi is one of Southeast Asia's fastest-growing fintech platforms. The projects that we invest in can expect to receive strong support scaling globally,” said Dr. Julian Hosp, Co-founder and CEO of Cake DeFi.